Thursday, September 20, 2007

"Dude", a Badge of Love

So this morning my daughter came up to me with a sticker that says "DUDE" and said, "Here, daddy, this is for you." She then pressed it to the front of my dress shirt with a look of satisfaction on her face.

When I got to the train station to get on the MARC, I considered removing it, but then I remembered how happy she looked putting it on my shirt and decided I could wear it for just a little longer.

By the time I got to work, I'd forgotten that I still had it on. My supervisor looked at me quizzically and asked, "Why do you have the word 'DUDE' on your shirt?" I looked down, remembered my daughter's smiling face, and said, "Because my daughter wanted to give me a sticker this morning."

The world may see "DUDE", an oddly incongruous sticker, but I see a badge of love.

3 comments:

Mendy said...

Hilarious, DUDE! I love it that she accessorized you this way. you're welcome.

Julia said...

How sweet of you to keep it on all day! What a good dad! (I'm adding you to my list, hope you don't mind--you can read mine too if you want, Mendy has me on her list)

TheScotticus said...

I'm not sure why, but I found this post to be really comical. Maybe it's the untold reactions of the other people that saw it between your home and work that make it funny to me.

A bishop I once had conducted an entire meeting with just the knot and a little portion of his tie, unaware that his son had somehow snipped it with some scissors as he held him. I also saw a guy walking down the street with a couple of gummy bears on the back of his shoulder. Yes, the many faceted badge of "Father".